Hello Hawthorn and Sycamore,
We are moving to a weekly Year 5 blog post. On this post you will find maths, English and wider curriculum tasks for the week. We suggest you try to complete 3 maths, 3 English and 3 wider curriculum subjects a week. It would be amazing if you could complete all 5 English and maths lessons over the week but now you can make flexible choices which suit your family.
Please keep emailing us (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org ). We love hearing your news and now have a Year 5 Gallery post where we can display your creative work. We will continue to post a daily story; Miss Taylor will read Kensuke’s Kingdom from Monday to Thursday and Mrs Byfield will surprise you on Fridays.
We miss you all but we can see that you are continue to learn in new and creative ways.
Miss Taylor and Mrs Byfield
We will be using the English lessons on https://www.thenational.academy/online-classroom/year-5/english/#subjects
Work through the lessons in order as they build over the week. Remember you can always pause the video if you need more time to complete a task.
We will continue to use White Rose Home Learning. If you have completed week 1 move onto week 2, to continue your work on decimals. If you haven’t completed all the lessons in week 1 start there. https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-5/
- Watch the video.
- Complete the activity.
- Check your answers.
- If you’ve made a mistake can you figure out why?
Using your year 5/6 words (there should be a copy in your reading record, your home learning pack but you can also find them online). https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/z8mxrwx/articles/z9hjwxs
- Which words can you add the prefix un-, dis- and mis- to?
- How does this change the word?
- Can you use it in a sentence?
- What are its synonyms?
- What are its antonyms?
Task 1 – Science
This is an experiment sent in by Rose from Sycamore class and is known as the ‘soap challenge’ on the internet. Give it a try at home and remember, as scientists, to ask yourself these observational questions.
- Grab cleansing water and cotton pad (or soap/water and towel).
- Put water on cotton pad.
- Hold pad close to mouth with both hands firmly.
- Blow hard into pad.
- See the results!
- What did you notice?
- What changed?
- Why do you think it changed? What was the cause?
- What reaction has taken place? Is it reversible or irreversible?
Task 2 – Geography – Settlements
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zh2nscw Settlements are places where people live and sometimes work. They can be small or large depending on how many people live there and how many facilities there are. Facilities are places where certain things happen, for example, schools for education, parks for playing or shops for selling things.
- What different settlements are there?
- Draw two settlements e.g. Northampton, UK and Northampton, Massachusetts.
- What is similar about the settlements? What is different?
Task 3 – PSHE – The importance of teamwork
- How have you used teamwork this week?
- What makes an amazing team?
- What teams are you part of?
- Can you think of a team that inspires you? Why?
- Why are you an important member of our Hawthorn/Sycamore team?