Hello Hawthorn and Sycamore,
I hope you were all able to access the tasks last week. If you are struggling to use any of the websites, please let us know and we will advise you. Once again there are 5 maths and English lessons to complete. Try to complete one a day – we know this isn’t possible for everyone – so aim for at least 3. It is a special Bank Holiday on Friday so let us know how you celebrate VE day.
It’s best to follow the White Rose maths lessons in order, so don’t worry if you are not on the week set on the blog.
This week we’ve also included SPaG, science, special VE history and art.
We will display your work on our Y5 Gallery post so look out for it!
Mon – Wed Miss Taylor will complete Kensuke’s Kingdom and then begin The Skylark’s War
Thurs – Surprise video from Mrs Byfield
We are both missing you all dearly but so grateful that technology can bring us so much closer together.
Miss Taylor and Mrs Byfield
These are your 5 lessons for this week. Work through the lessons in order as they build over the week. Remember you can always pause the video if you need more time to complete a task.
We will continue to use White Rose Home Learning. If you have completed week 1 move onto week 2, continuing your work on decimals. If you haven’t completed all the lessons in week 1, start there. https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-5/
- Watch the video.
- Complete the activity.
- Check your answers.
- If you’ve made a mistake can you figure out why?
There are 5 quizzes for you to complete on www.spag.com
Your username and passwords are in your homework book.
Task 1 – Science: Salt Crystals Experiment
We have another fantastic experiment to try from Cosmo in Year 5.
- Cotton or string
- 1 clean clear container
- 1 button
- 1 old pen
- Food colouring (optional)
- Kettle and an adult.
- Start by tying the button to the end of a piece of cotton.
- Tie the other end to the pen, making sure the button is suspended above the bottom of the jar. Dangling so it doesn’t touch the bottom.
- Next get an adult to help by boiling the kettle.
- Stir that salt into the water in a jug, and food colouring if you’re using it. Keep stirring until no more salt will dissolve.
- Carefully pour the salt water solution into the jar and lay the pen across the top with the button in the water.
- Put on a windowsill and wait for your crystals to grow.
- It can take a few days or more so be patient
What has happened for this change to occur? Look at https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/z6pyvk7
Task 2 – History
- Can you find out what VE day celebrates? This video might help.
- Can you see if you can find any primary sources (people who were there at the time) to gather more information? The Imperial War Museum website is an amazing resource.
- Could you organise a ‘street party’ in your garden for your family? You could make bunting, bake a cake (watch out for Mrs Byfield’s video) and listen to some 1940s music.
Task 3 – Art
Watch the video and complete the activity.
https://whiterosemaths.com/resources/classroom-resources/problems/ – Problem of the day
https://corbettmathsprimary.com/5-a-day/ – For daily quiz style questions
Reading and Writing: