Mental Awareness Week – Kindness Matters
It’s Mental Awareness Week (18 – 24 May) and the theme is kindness #kindnessmatters. It is especially important to be kind this year to help other people’s mental health as well as our own.
I’m sure you have all shown kindness over these coming months so please comment below and share all the kindness we have at WFPS (I know it is a lot!) and let’s try to be particularly kind over this next week.
Here are some things you could try.
At home and in your community
- Call a friend who you haven’t spoken to for a while
- Post a card or letter to someone you are out of touch with
- Send flowers to a friend, out of the blue
- Find out if a neighbour needs any help with shopping
- Ring someone who is on their own, or video call them
- Send someone a handwritten thank you note
- Tell your family how much you love and appreciate them
- Help with household chores
- Offer to help an elderly or vulnerable neighbour
- Check on someone you know who is going through a tough time
On social media
- Take time to reach out online to people you haven’t seen for a while
- Write something nice or encouraging on a post you appreciate
- Acknowledge and validate someone’s story – if they are having a difficult time you don’t have to have all the answers, sometimes a like or a brief ‘I’m sorry to hear this, is there something I can do?’ is enough to make them feel heard
- Think about what you share – look at the source of the post, and the tone. If it isn’t kind, think twice. If something could upset others and you feel you need to post it, use a trigger or content warning
- Think about your comments and replies. Try not to say nasty things, or pile on where somebody questions another person’s actions
2 thoughts on “Mental Awareness Week – Kindness Matters”
Ethan and Charlotte have been doing two acts of kindness each day for each other. Today was sharing Easter eggs! Can’t believe we still have some left!! And encouraging each other on a hot bike ride!
That is really lovely to hear! What great ways of showing kindness towards each other. That is amazing that they have Easter eggs left 🙂